Autistic people are not abnormal, they live a different life so it is unfair on the part of the regular and ordinary people to consider them as retards and to sideline them from mainstream society. Being blessed with an autistic child is absolutely challenging and all you need to do is being actively involved in his daily life and being a part of his closed life. People and organizations have spoken extensively about autism awareness and how people should openly welcome them without having any inhibitions. But the basic point is, why is there a need to create an awareness about autism and why is accepting it so difficult? Do people need awareness about an ordinary person's way of life? The answer is no then why is there a need to spread awareness about autism because that too is a way of life! However, now that autism acceptance has phenomenally increased let us focus on some of the basic things that parents can do to give their child as normal a life as possible.
Nobody guarantees to uproot this neurological disorder completely from the health system but the right guidance from parents can cut its effects.
Things Parents Can Keep In Mind To Give A Better Life To Their Child
A lot has already been stated about the progress medical science has made in terms of treatment, therapy and medication. But unfortunately there are several small families who can not afford the extravagant medical procedure because of financial short comings. It is particularly for them, a few basic tips that they can keep in mind and practice in trying to give a good life to their child. Let's catch a glimpse of them:
- Education – Educate yourself about autism so that you know how to react to your child's problems. The more you study about the recent researches and case studies, the better will be your knowledge and any such development happening around autism. Education is essential for gathering knowledge about this disorder since your children sufferers from it and is unable to explain himself clearly because of the problem of speech impairment that comes with this heath hazard.
- Understanding Autism – With the right knowledge and education about autism, comes the ability to understand the symptoms and the gestures that they give to communicate. It is important that you understand their skills and reciprocate accordingly so that they can comprehend what you are trying to tell them, this form of mutual understanding can take place only with patience enough to get inside their world and know how they are.
- Social Skills – If you study clearly about autism you will soon realize that people suffering from it will have problems in developing their social skills. So you need to understand all this as parents and work towards helping your child perfect his social skills. However, you can not expect such a thing to happen overnight but with prolonged practice and constantly reminding your child about the social etiquettes you can expect that it will take place eventually. Social skills are important when they are about to face the world outside the four walls of their home, and these etiquettes or code of conduct is necessary wherever in school, college, family gatherings, parties or even at the work place. So have patience and train your child to see him do that as he matures.
- Communication – One of the major problems of autism is the inability to communicate properly. In such scenarios you would often see that these special kids are communicating through gestures, as parents you need to understand the meaning of these gestures and reciprocate so. Communicating through gestures is a basic trait of these kids and you need to help them break free from this mold. Again, it is something that needs time and perseverance with the faith that one day your child will make it. Start encouraging them to talk even if whatever they are saying has no meaning because it is these imperfections that will one day wipe off for them to speak fluently without the hits of autism attached to their speech.
- Autism Acceptance – All said and done about how parents need to have and deal with their autistic child, it is also important that we accept them the way they are, and laugh and smile at their quirkiness. Accepting them without any complaints gives them the greatest joy and also the willingness to change for the better.
It is time we accept them the way they are and allow their quirkiness to bring a difference in our lives.